20 September 2009

Take This Tune - September Morn







Neil Diamond's "September Morn" is one of two songs that immediately brings up a group of memories.  "We danced until the night became a brand new day" is the night of my 18th birtday dancing with the young man who eventually became my husband.  It might have been in March rather than September, but that is the picture that goes with the words as we married in August and September brought the streets of San Francisco and a whole new life.  If you are expecting, "happily ever after" ... nope.  This was one of those doomed from the start relationships.  It lasted nine semi good semi bad years without acrimony, but just not working.  I did get two children out of the deal, so no regrets.

The next line that hooks me is "Standing in the door, stay with me awhile" and there I am in a hotel room a couple of years after the divorce and so desperately wanting to leave that I opened the "dry cleaning" door and stepped through rather than opening the main door with, "I never thought I would say it, but I don't love you anymore.".   "Look at what you've done, you've become a grown up girl" is another decade when he shows up on the doorstep and I just waved goodbye to an opportunity. 

In the final line, "Look how far we've come, from where we used to be" and it is an image of us pushing 50 sitting by a swimming pool where his younger fourth wife is splashing with our now grown up daughter who is only two years her junior while we laugh comfortably but still really not speaking, just at peace. 
Innocence lost.  Wisdom gained.  Tears shed.  Memories made. 

Do you remember how we danced the night away
Two lovers playing scenes from some romantic play
September morning still can make me feel this way.

And the other song that always reminds me of my ex:  Once Upon A Time

4 comments:

maryt/theteach said...

Mine will be up this afternoon at 5:00 PM. A Carole King song that I know you'll like! :)

Travis Cody said...

This has always been one of my favorite Neil Diamond songs. I don't know that it's an emotional connection I have to the song. There isn't a specific memory or anything. I just think it's a lovely and evocative melody and lyric.

SouthLakesMom said...

What a gracious way to remember the connections with an ex. I admire your honesty and restraint. A nice song to evoke days gone by.

Durward Discussion said...

What can I say. He wasn't and isn't a bad man, just a bad fit for me in marriage and not a good father. He is trying in his later years to repair the relationships with his children.